How we grant equipment
The Superspecs Play Hard. Don’t Blink. sports eye safety program works with organized Ohio youth baseball/softball and soccer leagues to prevent eye injuries by donating protective equipment free of charge to the league.
Our goal is to serve as many leagues as possible. We give careful consideration to each application we receive. Participating leagues applying for additional equipment to add teams or replace equipment will be served based on helmet availability. We hope that if you’ve already benefited from our program, you’ll support sports eye safety efforts by purchasing additional protective equipment through league funds.
Complete an application by December 6, 2018, and if your league qualifies, your equipment will be mailed to you for the upcoming season.
Types of eye protection
Soccer and basketball goggles: REC SPECS unisex goggles designed for maximum protection and comfort. All goggles donated through our program meet or exceed ASTM F803 impact resistance standards. Can also be used for squash, badminton, racquetball, paddleball, handball, or tennis.
Baseball batting helmets: Rawlings batting helmets with a protective face mask. Five helmets are provided to each participating team. Helmets are one-size-fits-all and come in black. Helmets meet NOCSAE safety standards.
Softball batting helmets: RIP-IT Vision Pro softball helmets provide a wider field of view and better peripheral vision than any other fastpitch helmet. Helmets are ultra lightweight, eliminate glare, wick moisture, and have 21 strategically placed air vents keep you cool.
Softball fielder’s masks: RIP-IT Fielder’s Masks are ultra-light weight, and have steel construction for maximum visibility and durability. They also include moisture management padding (that’s replaceable and washable) to absorb sweat. Four fielder’s masks are provided per team.
Super easy to apply
Fill out our online form by December 6 for the 2019 season.
Pre- and post-season questionnaires
We need your feedback to help eliminate eye injuries in Ohio.
Guidelines for Application
Superspecs is a three-year commitment. At the end of these three years, the equipment becomes property of the participating league.
If a participating league fails to submit information as requested during the three year period, the league will be required to return all equipment at its own expense.
- Must complete and return the pre- and post-season evaluations for the next three years
- Must agree to provide superspecs educational materials provided with equipment to the parents, players and coaches in your program
- Must be an amateur baseball, softball, basketball, or soccer league in the state of Ohio with players between the ages of 5 to 18
- Must mandate the use of the protective equipment while players are on the field or court
League Administrator requirements
- Must accept overall responsibility for league adherence to program and use of protective equipment. If the person in the League Administrator role changes, it is the signing League Administrator’s responsibility to notify Superspecs of the change and to inform the successor of the responsibility to the program
- Must agree to supporting the Superspecs Play Hard. Don’t Blink. program and the importance of sports eye safety for young athletes
- Must provide a complete roster of participating teams
- Must complete the administrator’s pre-season questionnaire and information in the participant packet
- League administrators are responsible for dispersing, collecting and returning all of the coaches pre- and post-season evaluations
- Must agree to the possibility of having Superspecs representatives visit your league during the year
- Must place a minimum order for 60 pieces (12 teams)
- Must provide space for the protective equipment to be housed until the season begins
It’s easy. Just click here to apply.
Face guards and protective eyewear don’t impair a player’s concentration or reduce their ability to focus. In fact, many coaches feel that because young athletes have less fear about getting hurt, they can play with more confidence.